Monday, October 5, 2009

A house with a view

We made some excellent progress this weekend! We managed to put up this custom made triangular window above the front entry door with a minimum of fuss (well the first attempt didn't quite fit so a little adjusting and it was in!) It is verrrrry high up and that makes me a little nervy, not to mention trying to lift up a very heavy window and nail it in place LEVEL - amazing! Bikeman then set to work today (while the ferrets and I scoffed our faces with cake and fizzy drink) finishing some major milestones. He finished the verandah beams off, ready for painting (adding more work for me this week - can i put in for overtime??) and then the roofer to put on the verandah roof. He also bricked up the bits around the triangular window (yes he's multi-talented - brickie now as well) effectively saving us heaps of $ in saving us from getting the brickie out again, with scaffolding as it was at heights, to muck around with the bricks. And it looked very professional. He's so clever at this stuff! As for me, yesterday I finished the second undercoat in all the rooms that need cabinetry (don't get too excited - still have the bedrooms to start on!). But it means i can start on the real stuff this week - the final ceiling colour and then the walls. I'm so excited! A little dampened by the fact that the sparky came in and installed powerpoints, light switches (and even a light baton in Pink's room) to about 1/2 the house - nooooooo, cutting in! Not happy Jan. Luckily we can just unscrew them and then paint around them so it's not really that bad. So another mammoth painting effort this week. But I am looking forward to finishing off each room, one by one and being able to cross them off the list! And I'm also off to buy tap fittings, waste points, shower heads etc so that will be fun, I love spending money!

2 comments:

  1. oh dear, all that work ahead of you - glad it's not me (although it will be soon)! re: floors, I think you made the right choice, and you should see if staining can be arranged to give a darker look. But you are exactly right about not worrying about it in 6mths. Some people like the timber redder, it's just taste. AND no one was going to pay you more for the spotted gum when you sell in umpteen years... put the money to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All very true Annie and thankyou for your support! And there are always rugs if it is REALLY bad. Yes this week has been a big one, I must say I'm starting to get a little sick of painting :) but putting on the real colour buoyed me a little. And yes the budget is having the life squeezed out of it so that extra money is going to pay for other cool stuff we want!

    ReplyDelete