Thursday, September 24, 2009

Decisions re flooring ... help!

We've nutted down the flooring to one supplier and now are just trying to decide on the type of wood for the flooring. The others colours below are as follows: Walls: Dulux 'Buff It' (background same as paint chip top RHS) Ceiling and Cornice: Dulux 'Antique White USA' 1/2 strength Doors, Arcs and Skirts: Dulux 'Antique White USA' (under 'Buff It' paint chip) Bathrooms and Kitchen Lower Cabinets: Laminex 'Mocha' Kitchen Upper Cabinets: Laminex 'Angora' Kitchen Bench: Caesar Stone 'Ice Snow' Bathroom benches: Laminex 'Pure Mineralstone' in Diamond Gloss finish Tiles: As pictured, 400x400 for floors and on walls in showers and around bath Feature Tiles: white rectangular with pebble feature - between vanity and mirrors There will be some feature walls as well, a dusty rose colour in pink's room and a burnt orange in blue's. And various others throughout the house, to be decided when I finally make a decision! So now the next decision - floors. The above flooring is called Kempas, and the below is an example of Spotted Gum (showing the variations). Above: much much cheaper (about 30% cheaper) but my gut says 'too red!'. Bikeman quite likes it though. I'm a little more partial to the Spotted Gum but is it worth the extra $$? Hmmmmm.... help me!

4 comments:

  1. I love dark chocolate floorboards, so I'm no help. Out of those two choices I prefer the Spotted Gum. Floorboards are a big purchase, make sure you get something you can both be happy about. I agree with you that the top one is too red, but that's just from this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when I'm buying things, I often have similar dilemmas to this. TBH, I see the colours as almost the same, not significantly different. So if it were me, I'd save the $$$

    We had a similar dilemma with our carpet, I bought samples of both and everyone pined over both, and although I saw the difference, they pretty much couldn't tell the diff, they didn't see why I was jumping at the chance to save $30per metre. so it was an easy choice for me in the end...

    put the money you save to something you didn't think you could afford.

    IMO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow thats a hard one, I like the top one, but with only a small sample it's hard to tell. Once it covers a wide space, you may be right, it could be too much red, although a nice fluffy white rug would take that away. The bottom one is kind of oldish cottage style , if the house will have that theme than yeah go for it. However my personal opion would be the top one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for your comments - in the end $ won out and we went for the Kempas, the first one which is more red - hopefully in the flesh it won't look to red (fingers crossed). You're right, it will be one of those things I probably won't be thinking about in 6 months time. Or I'll hate it forever! Ce la vie, life is too short....

    ReplyDelete